Did You Know?
— click on the cartoon to view the Catalyst Inc. report
It's time for more women to sit at the table... the corporate boardroom and c-suite — and men need to be part of this #change!
Until 2017 the needle had barely moved for a decade, and in some cases, in the opposite direction. In early 2016 there were fewer Fortune 500 Companies with women on their board than in 2015.
The good news?
"It wasn’t exactly gender parity, but women accounted for 38.3% of all newly named directors at Fortune 500 companies in 2017, according to executive-search firm Heidrick & Struggles.
Last year was the biggest year for board appointments of women since the firm started tracking the data in 2009." - Quarz at Work
This reminds us of a moment in Canada's history 100 years ago — a movement that changed everything for women in one province... yet the challenges remain the same one Century later (in 2016) ...and there are similar stories in other countries.
Recent studies confirm that more women on corporate boards increases performance and profit directly to the bottom line:
- Companies With More Women Board Directors Experience Higher Financial Performance - Catalyst read more
- More women at the top, higher returns (Sep 2014) read more
- Women now hold one in five corporate board seats in Canada (Jan 2015) read more
- Why Diversity Matters - New research makes it increasingly clear that companies with more diverse workforces perform better financially (Feb 2015) read more
- Yet more research proves it: Companies with women in senior roles are more profitable (Mar 2016) read more
- Why Women On Company Boards Boost Performance (April 2016) read more
- See STATS on our website as new research data becomes available
Why are more women not pursuing leadership roles?
96% of Canadian CEOs opposed the idea of quotas in 2011. In that case, what are the alternatives to bring more women to senior executive roles? In past years, this process has been primarily on a voluntary basis, and progress therefore, insignificant — until the Catalyst Accord, and various other global initiatives that is.
How can you help?
- Join the movement — increase awareness
- Follow SitAtTheTable on social media below
- Make corporate gender balance strategy a top priority
- Start diversity conversations with family, friends, colleagues and staff
- Mentor women in the workplace
- Commit to hiring more women in leadership roles
- Sponsor women's initiatives to help them succeed (win-win)
- Are you biased against women leaders? Take this test